Thursday, July 19, 2012

A thing called Marriage














There isn’t any other topic than marriage on which more discourses, jokes or lessons have been written. And now I know the reason why.

There have been moments when I have ruminated about my marriage with both apprehension and expectation. Sometimes blogs like these - Time to SettleWatching Vivah too have followed. Pre-marriage phase is a conjecture time. You build your views on others preached notions or time-old norms or your own uncertain doubts. So, it is practically a land of unknowns.

Post-marriage phase thus comes as a welcomed and prepared part; however, you are still swept off your feet sometimes. Marriage ceremonies are the first ones. I enjoyed them to the hilt, trying to follow each of them for its importance and meaning. I had thought that I would become a bit occasion conscious, but thankfully I was normal all the time. However, the moment the pandit said, after sindur daan and phera that a few moments ago, you both have entered into marriage life, I was taken aback for a second, for the realization of the change in my life.

The usual honeymoon and travelling followed, which needless to say was good, nay brilliant. Your in-laws become your additional family, and you cater to them, probably with more respect and attention. Your immediate workspace and territory gets redefined. I had never thought I would be buying ladies salwaar suit in a shop, looking completely buffoon with my choices. But as people say, with time, these expertise too will come.

Finally and most importantly, your better half. This is where it all stops and revolves; all your habits, thoughts, ideas, beliefs, love, career, ambitions etc are unfulfilled without a suitable spouse. In fact, life is distorted if there is no complementary soul for you. Again thankfully, I got the perfect one which I desired.

It has been just 1 month, but the life around marriage time has been a unique experience. Some of the moments will remain indelible in my mind forever. For the present though, the proverbial ‘marital bliss’ is definitely on….