Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I am an egoist

What is the difference between self-respect and ego? I have been wondering this ever since I found that I am an egotist. I never had a liking for my voice being cut, even if I was wrong. Worse, if someone corrected me in a brazen way, I would put up a sullen face and act as if he committed a mistake. It was the most-adhered way of keeping my sanctity intact and also smarting the so-deemed offender. In a way, I destroyed myself and also hurt the other.

I don’t say, I still don’t do it. But I at least try not to do it, and in the instances, I have been successful, I find the world so radically different. The problems then cease to exist and what comes out is happy co-existence for one and all. Ego isolates one by keeping an exalted view of oneself, and thus can never reach the solution. Self-respect on the other hand keeps one exalted in the midst of all by solving the problem. I fail to understand it, or more importantly, adhere to it when the situation demands. It happens in the heat of the moment, and it takes a gigantic effort then to put aside my self-righteous views. But it definitely gets better when I get it right. I need to puncture my ego at the start only, and hopefully one day I can make make my life even more beautiful.

No comments: